Free crochet pattern
Wanna quick hat that’s not boring, yet easy to make? With Desert Hat, it’s the little details that make all the difference. Crocheted in squishy worsted-weight wool, this hat uses simple stitches, put together in an interesting way and worked in the round, to create a hat that looks unique without being fussy. The button tab is everything, so be sure to choose a button that really speaks to you. It’ll be the focal point, framed by this super fun stitch pattern. #WeCILoveYarn21
Want a printable .pdf for just $1.99? Click here.
Stitches: Ch, sl st, sc, sc2tog, scblo, dc
Yarn: Worsted (#4) Merino, 150 yards
Shown in Knit Picks’ High Desert in “Dusk“
Sizes: Adult medium 20” circumference (to fit 19-22” circ.)
Gauge: 8 st x 6 rows = 2”
Also takes one (1) button: 3 /4.” Please take your time picking your button as this will be the little detail that really makes a big difference.
Get to Stitchin'
Ch 4, Join w/ sl st.
1) Ch 2 (does not count as st, here and throughout,) 12 dc in loop. Join. = 12 st
2) Ch 2, 2dc in each st around. Join. = 24 st
3) Ch 2, *dc, 2dc; rep from * around. Join. = 36 st
4) Ch 2, *dc 2, 2dc; rep from * around. Join. = 48 st
5) Ch 2, *dc 3, 2dc; rep from * around. Join. = 60 st
6) Ch 2, *dc 4, 2dc; rep from * around. Join. = 72
7) Ch 1, *sc, ch 1, sk 1; rep from * around. Join.
8) Sl st into ch-1 sp, ch 2, *2dc in ch-1 sp; rep from * around. Join.
9-18) Rep 7-8
19) Ch 1, sc around. Join.
1) Ch 1, sc 9. Turn. = 9 st
2) Ch 1, sc2tog, sc 5, sc2tog. Turn. = 7 st
3) Ch 1, sc2tog, sc 3, sc2tog. Turn. = 5 st
4) Ch 1, sc2tog, ch 1, sk 1, sc2tog. Turn. = 2 st, 1 ch-1 sp
5) Ch 1, sc2tog in st + sp, sc2tog in same sp + last st. Turn. = 2st
6) Ch 1, sc2tog. Turn.
7) Ch 1, sc evenly down side of tab, scblo around, sc evenly up side of tab. Join.
Cut yarn. Weave in ends. Add button.
Hooray! You have a cool new hat. Do you like it? I bet you love it. I sure do love mine. I’d love to see what you’ve made (and especially what button you picked!) Share a pic to your favorite social media and tag @RowsAndRoses and #RowsAndRosesDesertHat so we can all be inspired by your awesome choices. As always, if you need me, I’m just a click or two away.